CRITERIA FOR JUDGING EFFECTIVENESS OF TRAFFIC ISLAND PLANTINGS
I. DESIGN (35 points)
A. Appropriateness of design to surroundings (20)
- Is style consonant with the degree of formality of large ajacent plantings and architecture in civic or historic areas, or with naturalistic plantings in rural or residential areas?
- Are color, form and texture used functionally
—to link areas of the city,
—to identify a business area, or
—to harmonize with colors of adjacent buildings, or
—to distract from something ugly?
B. Appropriateness of Scale of design to viewpoint of intended audience: (10)
- Car occupants view is 4 1/2′ above street
- Pedestrians have higher, more varied view points
- Tenants of tall buildings see overall design.
C. Appropriateness of scale of design to velocity of viewers: (5)
- People moving at over 20 mph see only broad effects
—two colors or textures.
- Drivers can appreciate more detail at stoplights, bus stops and in traffic jams.
- Pedestrians enjoy subtle variations
II. SUITABILITY OF PLANT MATERIAL (30 points)
A. to adverse growing conditions: (15)
restricted rooting space, dubious pH and soil texture, compaction,
extremes of heat and cold, air pollution, salt spray and wind whip
B. to realistic assessment of the types and level of maintenance available: (15)
—Lawn: aeration, lime, fertilizer, reseeding, watering and mowing are all necessary. Is someone designated to do the work?
—Trees, shrubs and perennials: Is there a caretaker to water and prune them?
—Annuals: Are there provisions for annual soil preparation, bedding out, mulching
and fertilizing, fall clean-up; weekly watering, weeding and deadheading?
—Brick and concrete: Is there a designated sweeper?
III. QUALITY AND SUITABILITY OF PAVING, MEMORIALS, PLANTERS, BENCHES AND TRASH RECEPTACLES (8 points)
IV. FOUR SEASON INTEREST (12 points)
Estimate effectiveness for each season: on scale of -3 (eyesore) to +3 (real asset):
V. ORIGINALITY (5 points)
VI. CHARM (5 points)
VII. OVERALL IMPRESSION (5 points)
Total possible points: 100.
(Note that points for As and Bs add up to points for Roman Numerals)